Unabomber’s anti-technology manifesto published 20 years ago

unabomber

()  It was 20 years ago Saturday that the world awoke to a strange treatise published in print by The Washington Post. The piece espoused extreme hatred for technology, what the manifesto’s author described as the “industrial-technological system” that would someday end up “depriving people of dignity and autonomy.”

The author turned out to be Theodore John Kaczynski, the Unabomber. He infamously sent the manuscript to the Post and The New York Times, saying if they published his rant against technology, he would stop killing and maiming people with letter bombs. After consulting with the FBI, the newspapers jointly published the manuscript, a move based largely on the belief that doing so could end the nearly two-decade long killing spree and perhaps lead to the author’s capture.

The Unabomber’s brother, David, read the published manuscript, realized it was his brother, and turned him in. Suddenly, the nation’s longest and costliest manhunt for a domestic terrorist was over. The Unabomber is serving three life terms in connection to a nearly two-decade terror spree that injured 23 people and killed three others in the United States between 1978 and 1995. He was labeled the Unabomber because his main targets were university scholars and others associated with science and technology.

“In order to get our message before the public with some chance of making a lasting impression, we had to kill people,” the manifesto said.

The Post on Friday recounted the internal machinations behind the decision to publish the 35,000-word manuscript. One particular paragraph in the story points out a larger theme, one essentially having nothing to do with the Unabomber but everything to do with technology:

Two decades later, the events surrounding the publication of the Unabomber’s manuscript seem both distant and eerily familiar. Some elements suggest a bygone age. The manifesto, for example, was perhaps one of the last newsworthy documents to appear only in print. Although the Internet was starting to seep into everyday life, few Americans relied on it for news. Within a few years, that would change irrevocably.

Fast forward to today, Kaczynski clearly wouldn’t need the Post or Times to spread his philosophy. Thanks to technology that the Unabomber railed against, the Internet of today would have provided him a forum for his rants—just like it does now for stodgy news agencies, political protesters, tech sites, the mom and pops of the world, bloggers, and even the ISIS crazies.

Kaczynski used this L3 Smith-Corona portable typewriter for most of his documents, including his “Manifesto.”

The Post‘s reflection on the Unabomber also sparked a reflection of sorts of my own dealings with the Unabomber. The anniversary prompted me to look for my own Unabomber files, the ones I maintained when I covered the Unabomber’s court appeals for The Associated Press. As time passed, I think I must have thrown away most of the files, but I did find a three-page, photocopied letter the Unabomber addressed to me at my former press room office in the San Francisco federal building 15 years ago. Where that original letter is, I haven’t a clue. There were also others that I cannot find.

Still, I did discover this Unabomber hand-written correspondence that has not yet been published on the Internet. I found it late Saturday in a file marked “Sadie,” the folder I maintain with updated health information about my black Labrador dog.

As far as I can remember, this letter (PDF) was sent to me unsolicited from the Unabomber while he was in prison. At the time, he was demanding that he be allowed to withdraw his guilty plea. He claims he was coerced by his attorneys to plead guilty—in exchange for a life sentence instead of a death sentence—to avoid a trial where his attorneys would focus on him being mentally ill.

J. Tony Serra, a prominent San Francisco lawyer who would later go to prison on tax evasion charges, told me 15 years ago that if Kaczynski won a new trial, he would put on a so-called “political defense.”

“He always wanted to go to trial. He wanted to air his principles, his ideology behind his actions,” Serra said. The Oklahoma City bomber, Timothy McVeigh, was executed after his political defense flopped, one in which he said he blew up the building and killed 168 people as retribution for the FBI’s Branch Davidian attack in Waco, Texas.

The 9th US Circuit Court of Appeals in 2001 declined to allow Kaczynski to withdraw his guilty plea. If allowed a new trial, in which he said he would have accepted the death penalty if he lost, Kaczynski said in his letter to me that his defense would surround “dishonesty and incompetence of the FBI.” The letter also said I mischaracterized his relationship with Michael Mello, the author ofThe United States of America versus Theodore John Kaczynski.

But on the anniversary of this unusual op-ed printing, I wonder how different this Unabomber episode might have turned out had Kaczynski been privy to today’s Internet society and culture. Perhaps the answer to this question is worthy of a treatise in and of itself—print or online?

Views: 182

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The whole point of tech was supposed to deliver Humanity Free Time to grow & evolve.

Instead it's been weaponized into the 40 hr slave week. Cave men didn't work 40 hrs/week.

Indigenous tribes in the rain forests with zero-tech work 10 - 20 hrs/wk.

So the whole tech-meme has been hijacked by control-freaks who want to exploit slave labor.

Not eliminate it.

Tech would be great if it were employed properly to liberate Humanity.

Sadly it's been used to achieve the exact opposite.

RSS

"Destroying the New World Order"

TOP CONTENT THIS WEEK

THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE SITE!

mobile page

12160.info/m

12160 Administrators

Latest Activity

cheeki kea commented on Less Prone's photo
Thumbnail

Rebuilding Khazaria

"Perhaps Russia and Ukraine should Rebuild the Tartarian Empire. Then game over. "
6 minutes ago
cheeki kea commented on FREEDOMROX's blog post NEVER FORGET! WHO and UN charged with GENOCIDE in 2009
"This is Why the outlier countries Must Stand Up And Fight Them Off on all fronts at all times. For…"
22 minutes ago
cheeki kea posted a blog post

Dr. Aseem Malhotra's Explosive Court Testimony on COVID "Vaccines"(UPDATED)

Doctor Malhotra drops arsenal of truth bombs on Helsinki. A spectacular display. Here are few snip…See More
1 hour ago
Less Prone favorited Doc Vega's blog post They Want to Murder Trump!
10 hours ago
Less Prone posted a photo
10 hours ago
rlionhearted_3 posted a photo
14 hours ago
Doc Vega posted blog posts
16 hours ago
Doc Vega commented on tjdavis's photo
Thumbnail

reminders

"Wow how ironic! "
yesterday
Doc Vega posted a blog post

Epitaph at 5:00 AM

Epitaph at 5:00 AM Carrying around my regrets like a spear in my chestTalking to people who…See More
yesterday
Less Prone commented on KLC's group MUSICWARS
"Walk like a Joe Biden"
yesterday
Less Prone favorited Sandy's photo
yesterday
Less Prone favorited cheeki kea's photo
yesterday
Less Prone replied to MAC's discussion GAIN OF FUNCTION CRIMINALS ARE SQUIRMING
yesterday
Sandy posted photos
yesterday
cheeki kea commented on tjdavis's photo
Thumbnail

Child play

"Here's an online blast from the past (20/04/2016) -~of cause the video of the dog in question…"
yesterday
Tori Kovach commented on James Roberts's photo
Thumbnail

Workers Join Us

"And don't forget your blue collars!"
yesterday
cheeki kea posted a photo
yesterday
cheeki kea commented on Mr. Sizzle's photo
Thumbnail

BDS Movement.

"One day all this "hate speech" bs being brought in across the world will fail and back…"
yesterday
Tori Kovach commented on suzie's photo
Thumbnail

Meet the new BOSS same as the old BOSS

"I'll keep an eye out for him."
yesterday
cheeki kea commented on tjdavis's photo
Thumbnail

iconism

"That's really crazy, really as he didn't actually approve of smoking in general. An anti…"
yesterday

© 2024   Created by truth.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

content and site copyright 12160.info 2007-2019 - all rights reserved. unless otherwise noted