SALMON, Idaho (INTELLIHUB) Canyon Mansfield, 14, and his Labrador retriever named Casey were playing outside on Thursday when he saw what looked like a sprinkler head sticking up out of the ground which detonated just seconds later when he touched it, injuring the boy and killing his dog.
The boy’s mother Theresa Mansfield said the explosion of deadly cyanide gas hit both her son and their pet.
“Canyon said there was a bang like a bomb, then an explosion of an orange substance that covered him and Casey, who was writhing in pain on the ground before he died right in front of Canyon,” Mansfield said.
According to Reuters:
The device, called an M-44, was among several placed in the area by Wildlife Services, an arm of the U.S. Department of Agriculture that targets coyotes, wolves, cougars, foxes and other animals considered nuisances to farms and ranches.
The agency has been sued by conservation groups claiming that its programs to poison, trap and shoot various predator species violate federal environmental and wildlife protection laws.
The device was described as a “cyanide bomb” by Bannock County Sheriff Lorin Nielsen, who said he is meeting with officials next week to “get to the bottom of this.”