Lawsuit Filed Against the U.S. Military and CIA over Drone Assassination Program

By Madison Ruppert theintelhub.com July 19, 2012

The legality of America’s drone-based “targeted killing” program has recently come under fire in court, although mostly over the general basis on which the government can claim that meeting in secret to decide someone’s death counts as due process.

Unfortunately, lawyers for the government continue to invoke the privilege of state secrecy in order to avoid even having to confirm or deny that such a program exists to begin with, never mind actually addressing the legal basis for the practice.

Now the Center for Constitutional Rights (CCR) and the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) have joined forces to fight on behalf of family members of three Americans who were murdered last year in drone strikes in Yemen.

The lawsuit targets top-ranking United States government officials, alleging that they actually killed the three Americans, including a 16-year-old boy.

They allege that this action violated international human rights law and the United States Constitution itself, a fact echoed by human rights lawyers stating that British civilians are actually “p....

This lawsuit is groundbreaking, to say the least, and is the first lawsuit to actually challenge the legality of specific killings as well as the first to argue that the U.S. was not actually engaged in an armed conflict in Yemen at the time of the killing, thereby prohibiting the use of lethal force.

The ACLU and CCR are both quite critical of the drone program in general, stating that it is responsible for the deaths of thousands, including hundreds of deaths of innocent civilians.

However, there are some exceptions for the use of lethal force in an area where the U.S. is not engaged in an armed conflict. Lethal force is prohibited in all cases except when “at the time it is applied, lethal force is a last resort to protect against a concrete, specific, and imminent threat of death or serious physical injury.”

The ACLU and CCR are thus directly challenging the government’s authority to decide to kill Americans in cold blood without any meaningful judicial scrutiny whatsoever.

“The government has killed three Americans. It should account for its actions. This case gives us an opportunity to do that,” said deputy legal director for the ACLU Jameel Jaffer in a press call, according to Threat Level.

Essentially, according to Jaffer, “the question is whether the government is justified in killing without charging them or trying them for anything.”

This particular case swirls around the killing of radical cleric and alleged al Qaeda operative Anwar al-Awlaki, a New Mexico-born American citizen.

Awlaki is the same individual who once dined at the Pentagon and yet the Obama administration claimed – but never had to prove, mind you – that Awlaki became an operational planner and recruiter for al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP).

Others who were killed in the effort to take Awlaki out of the picture were Samir Khan, the editor of “Inspire,” allegedly published by AQAP, and in a separate attack two weeks later, Awlaki’s 16-year-old son Abdulrahman al-Awlaki.

However, the Washington Post cited U.S. officials who claimed that the killings of Khan and Awlaki’s son were not intentional. If 16-year-old Awlaki was killed by the same missile which killed his father they might have an argument here, but clearly that is not the case.

Some of the defendants in the case include none other than U.S. Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta, Director of the Central Intelligence Agency David Petraeus, U.S. Navy Admiral William H. McRaven and U.S. Army Major General Joseph Votel.

Unfortunately, I don’t see the future of this lawsuit as all that bright given the fate of previous battles against the drone assassination program in the so-called justice system.

Furthermore, U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder has claimed that the legal authority handed over by Congress after the tragic events of September 11th, 2001 actually extends to both Yemen and Somalia.

Holder added that they only do this with “the consent of the nation involved or after a determination that the nation is unable or unwilling to deal effectively with a threat to the United States.”

Personally, I see this turning out like so many of the other cases: the government will just stonewall the efforts of those filing the lawsuit and simply refuse to confirm or deny that they even killed the Awlakis and Khan.

Did I forget anything or miss any errors? Would you like to make me aware of a story or subject to cover? Or perhaps you want to bring your writing to a wider audience? Feel free to contact me at admin@EndtheLie.com with your concerns, tips, questions, original writings, insults or just about anything that may strike your fancy.

Please support our work and help us start to pay contributors by doing your shopping through our Amazon link or check out some must-have products at our store.

This article originally appeared on End the Lie

Views: 158

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey couldn't believe they covered this on my local news

and it went like this:

"In more news, Panetta sued over drones"

END

Bust these psychpaths balls mr lawyer....(damn, i'm rooting for a lawyer???)

I cant wait to see my 1st one in my back 40, Its fuckin comin down brother!!

It is my belief that EndtheLie allows redistribution with attribution. Meaning no worries about copyright.

I haven't clicked on other blogs and probably wont this evening however.

RSS

"Destroying the New World Order"

TOP CONTENT THIS WEEK

THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE SITE!

mobile page

12160.info/m

12160 Administrators

Latest Activity

tjdavis posted a blog post
6 hours ago
Less Prone commented on tjdavis's blog post EST
"What possible motive did the Ashkenazi Jews have in exposing the original Jews into this…"
7 hours ago
Less Prone commented on tjdavis's blog post EST
"The war between Isreal and Palestinians is a war of the modern Ashkenazi Jews fighting against the…"
7 hours ago
Doc Vega commented on tjdavis's blog post EST
"Mark Levin is a good source of info on what's going on there."
8 hours ago
Doc Vega commented on tjdavis's blog post EST
"If you care to ascribe to the bullshit news media you will get the exact opposite details from the…"
8 hours ago
Doc Vega posted blog posts
9 hours ago
cheeki kea posted a blog post

Why is there Abnormal Physiology in the Vaccinated Heart?

Doctor McMillion has totally out done himself on this video. If he's on a roll here it'll be on top…See More
13 hours ago
cheeki kea posted photos
14 hours ago
cheeki kea commented on tjdavis's photo
14 hours ago
cheeki kea commented on Sandy's photo
Thumbnail

FB_IMG_1710523455761

"Ha Thia have you considered applying to move to Russia? Hourly rate the same but cost of living…"
yesterday
Doc Vega posted blog posts
Saturday
tjdavis favorited MAC's video
Saturday
tjdavis favorited MAC's video
Saturday
Doc Vega's 5 blog posts were featured
Saturday
tjdavis's 3 blog posts were featured
Saturday
steve's blog post was featured

This must be understood THE ELITE WANT US DEAD our only way out is----------------------------

to realize this FACT, get mad dog mad and go on the offensive. Once again they mean to KILL us and…See More
Saturday
MAC posted videos
Saturday
tjdavis posted photos
Saturday
tjdavis posted videos
Saturday
Sandy posted a photo
Friday

© 2024   Created by truth.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

content and site copyright 12160.info 2007-2019 - all rights reserved. unless otherwise noted