Phone hacking: News of the World reporter's letter reveals cover-up

 

Disgraced royal correspondent Clive Goodman's letter says phone hacking was 'widely discussed' at NoW meetings

 

Clive Goodman
The News of the World's former royal correpsondent, Clive Goodman, who was jailed over phone hacking. A letter from him claims phone hacking was widely discussed at the paper. Photograph: Carl De Souza/AFP/Getty Images

Rupert Murdoch, James Murdoch and their former editor Andy Coulson all face embarrassing new allegations of dishonesty and cover-up after the publication of an explosive letter written by the News of the World's disgraced royal correspondent, Clive Goodman.

 

In the letter, which was written four years ago but published only on Tuesday, Goodman claims that phone hacking was "widely discussed" at editorial meetings at the paper until Coulson himself banned further references to it; that Coulson offered to let him keep his job if he agreed not to implicate the paper in hacking when he came to court; and that his own hacking was carried out with "the full knowledge and support" of other senior journalists, whom he named.

 

The claims are acutely troubling for the prime minister, David Cameron, who hired Coulson as his media adviser on the basis that he knew nothing about phone hacking. And they confront Rupert and James Murdoch with the humiliating prospect of being recalled to parliament to justify the evidence which they gave last month on the aftermath of Goodman's allegations. In a separate letter, one of the Murdochs' own law firms claim that parts of that evidence were variously "hard to credit", "self-serving" and "inaccurate and misleading".

 

Goodman's claims also raise serious questions about Rupert Murdoch's close friend and adviser, Les Hinton, who was sent a copy of the letter but failed to pass it to police and who then led a cast of senior Murdoch personnel in telling parliament that they believed Andy Coulson knew nothing about the interception of the voicemail of public figures and that Goodman was the only journalist involved.

 

The letters from Goodman and from the leading London law firm Harbottle and Lewis are among a cache of paperwork published by the House of Commons culture, media and sport select committee. One committee member, the Labour MP Tom Watson, said Goodman's letter was "absolutely devastating". He said: "Clive Goodman's letter is the most significant piece of evidence that has been revealed so far. It completely removes News International's defence. This is one of the largest cover-ups I have seen in my lifetime."

 

Goodman's letter is dated 2 March 2007, soon after he was released from a four-month prison sentence. It is addressed to News International's director of human resources, Daniel Cloke, and registers his appeal against the decision of the company's then chairman, Les Hinton, to sack him for gross misconduct after he admitted intercepting the voicemail of three members of the royal household. Goodman lists five grounds for his appeal.

 

He argues that the decision is perverse because he acted "with the full knowledge and support" of named senior journalists and that payments for the private investigator who assisted him, Glenn Mulcaire, were arranged by another senior journalist. The names of the journalists have been redacted from the published letter at the request of Scotland Yard, who are investigating the affair.

 

Goodman then claims that other members of staff at the News of the World were also hacking phones. Crucially, he adds: "This practice was widely discussed in the daily editorial conference, until explicit reference to it was banned by the editor." He reveals that the paper continued to consult him on stories even though they knew he was going to plead guilty to phone hacking and that the paper's then lawyer, Tom Crone, knew all the details of the case against him.

 

more

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/aug/16/phone-hacking-now-reporter-letter?CMP=twt_gu

Comment

You need to be a member of 12160 Social Network to add comments!

Join 12160 Social Network

"Destroying the New World Order"

TOP CONTENT THIS WEEK

THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE SITE!

mobile page

12160.info/m

12160 Administrators

 

Latest Activity

tjdavis posted a photo
10 hours ago
Doc Vega posted a blog post

The US Federal Government Who is Really in Charge? Tulsi Gets Raided?

 Just 24 hours ago the office of Intelligence Director, Tulsi Gabbard was raided by the CIA at…See More
Friday
tjdavis posted photos
Friday
tjdavis posted a blog post
Thursday
Doc Vega posted a blog post

The Latest Craze

Their demonic little waysThe news is just a biased arrayThe higher taxes they want you to…See More
Tuesday
cheeki kea commented on cheeki kea's photo
Thumbnail

A Banished Poet

"An interesting snippet from world poetry day this year to learn of the first poet excited from the…"
May 12
cheeki kea posted a photo
May 12
cheeki kea commented on Sandy's photo
Thumbnail

FB_IMG_1772349325558

"Good Point!  Our Indo European friends in Iran gave the devil a good write down ( and Jesus a…"
May 11
Doc Vega posted blog posts
May 11
Burbia's blog post was featured

How much money makes anyone have a god complex?

Trump makes a meme of himself as Jesus Christ. Soros says he fancied himself a sort of god.In 2004,…See More
May 10
Less Prone favorited Burbia's blog post How much money makes anyone have a god complex?
May 10
cheeki kea's blog post was featured
May 10
Less Prone favorited Gordon Freeman's blog post Stupidity...
May 10
Doc Vega's 6 blog posts were featured
May 10
Less Prone favorited tjdavis's video
May 10
Doc Vega commented on Doc Vega's blog post So you Don't Think Communist China is Buying Off the Democrat Party?
"Tragically funny how easily patriotism dissolves when money is involved! "
May 8
Doc Vega favorited tjdavis's blog post The Islamization of Texas and the Rest of the States
May 8
Doc Vega commented on tjdavis's blog post The Islamization of Texas and the Rest of the States
"Yes and they are at this time allowing Epic City, a muslim wet dream to be constructed near Dallas…"
May 8
Doc Vega posted a blog post
May 8
Burbia commented on tjdavis's blog post The Islamization of Texas and the Rest of the States
"Muslim celebration at Grand Prairie water park canceled after Gov. Abbott threatens to pull city…"
May 8

© 2026   Created by truth.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

content and site copyright 12160.info 2007-2019 - all rights reserved. unless otherwise noted