Israel offered $6 million to victims of Gaza flotilla raid, say Turkish lawyers

One of several lawyers representing 465 victims and victims’ relatives of the 2010 Gaza flotilla raid says Israel made proposal to him through an intermediary foreign ambassador a month ago

 

ed note–Jewish math–no matter whether it is addition, subtraction, multiplication or division, it is always 6 million.

6 million is the sum that Israel paid in recompense to her attack on the USS LIBERTY that killed 34 and wounded almost 200.

This is not an accidental sum, but rather Israel’s way of rubbing it in the faces of her victims, as if to say–’don’t forget…you killed 6 million of us, and you owe us for it.’


Haaretz


A Turkish lawyer said on Thursday that Israel had offered to pay $6 million to victims of Israel’s storming of a Gaza-bound Turkish aid flotilla to settle lawsuits against the Israeli military.


Ramazan Ariturk, one of several lawyers representing 465 victims and victims’ relatives, told Reuters that the Israeli government had made a proposal to him through an intermediary foreign ambassador in Ankara just over one month ago.

He said the money would have been paid to a Jewish foundation in Turkey for distribution, and been followed by a statement of “regret” for the raid by the Israeli government.


“I told the ambassador I did not think the offer was appropriate or moral and also discussed the issue with the victims and their friends and they also stated that they could not accept this,” Ariturk said.


The Turkish Foreign Ministry agreed with his decision, saying Israel should have contacted it directly, he said. Ariturk declined to disclose the nationality of the ambassador or reveal the name of the Jewish foundation to which the payment would have been made.


However, a senior Israeli official who declined to be named said that Israel, having indicated last year that it was prepared to indemnify victims without accepting blame, had not renewed its offer.


Sources in the Turkish foreign ministry told Haaretz that they had not been officially approached by any Israeli officials, although, “If Israel had presented such an offer, it would have been considered seriously. In principal, there is no problem, to arrive at an understanding over the issue of damages, and actually a year ago we already reached an agreement over how to pay out damages, and according to this agreement, payment will be made through the Turkish government, and not directly to families in order to prevent recurring claims and long legal proceedings.”

“However, controversy still remains the question of apology. Israel is opposed to declaring publicly that it apologizes and Turkey is not prepared to accept a wording of regret that does not include taking responsibility, that is required in an expression of apology,” the sources said.


Israeli commandos stormed the Gaza-bound Mavi Marmara ship to enforce a naval blockade of the Palestinian-run Gaza Strip in May 2010. Nine Turks were killed in clashes aboard the ship.


The raid proved a watershed moment in Israel-Turkey relations, with the once staunch allies trading blame over responsibility for the incident. Turkey has insisted that Israel apologize for the raid and its consequences, as well as pay reparations to the families of those killed.


Turkey expelled Israel’s ambassador and froze all military cooperation with its former ally after a UN report into the incident last September largely exonerated Israel.


Turkey has demanded a formal apology from Israel alongside compensation for victims and the families of the dead, but Netanyahu has only voiced “regret”.


On Wednesday an Istanbul prosecutor submitted an indictment seeking life sentences for four former Israeli military commanders in connection with the raid, including the Chief of General Staff at the time.


The UN report on the raid last September was meant to encourage a rapprochement but ultimately deepened the rift when it concluded Israel had used unreasonable force but that its blockade of Gaza was legal


Israel said its marines had been attacked by activists wielding metal bars, clubs and knives when they boarded the Mavi Marmara, and had opened fire in self-defense.


More here:   http://theuglytruth.wordpress.com/2012/05/25/israel-offered-6-milli...

Views: 29

Comment

You need to be a member of 12160 Social Network to add comments!

Join 12160 Social Network

"Destroying the New World Order"

TOP CONTENT THIS WEEK

THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE SITE!

mobile page

12160.info/m

12160 Administrators

 

Latest Activity

tjdavis favorited Burbia's video
7 hours ago
tjdavis favorited cheeki kea's photo
7 hours ago
tjdavis posted a video

Peter Sellers - The Party (opening scene)

HQ HD "Does that include television sir ?" ... is still the best trolling paradigm in a movie.Support this channel: https://www.patreon.com/MusicPoints#Pet...
7 hours ago
Doc Vega posted blog posts
14 hours ago
Snakedaddy favorited Parrhesia's video
23 hours ago
Doc Vega commented on Doc Vega's blog post The Rabbit Hole
"Cheeki kea, I pray that the insanity doesn't deepen and there's been an attack by some 18…"
yesterday
Burbia's blog post was featured

Disgraced Former CNN Anchor Don Lemon Arrested

No longer an employed journalist, Don Lemon had been seen with far left agitator, Nekima Levy…See More
yesterday
Doc Vega's blog post was featured
yesterday
Less Prone favorited Doc Vega's blog post The Rabbit Hole
yesterday
cheeki kea commented on cheeki kea's photo
Tuesday
cheeki kea posted a photo
Tuesday
cheeki kea commented on Doc Vega's blog post The Rabbit Hole
"Good poem for these times. I think it's only going to get worse though as we enter into the…"
Tuesday
cheeki kea posted a blog post
Tuesday
Doc Vega posted a blog post

Our Crazy Modern World

I'll be your host tonight in our first episode of "Our Crazy Modern World". Join us now!Apparently…See More
Sunday
Burbia commented on cheeki kea's blog post BREAKING: The Epstein Files Illuminate a 20-Year Architecture Behind Pandemics as a Business Model.
"What a bummer. Can't tell thie 'dead' guy to eat shit now."
Saturday
Burbia commented on rlionhearted_3's photo
Thumbnail

2DF36465-A826-443C-A3A8-6638BC1D4FFA

"Venezuela under Chavez had cut ties with the IMF and World Bank. He had suggested that the US had…"
Saturday
Burbia commented on Doc Vega's photo
Thumbnail

G_LrzqtXMAAhT7w

"Derelict of duty should be reason for removal of these judges. That would go against what is in…"
Saturday
Doc Vega posted blog posts
Feb 13
tjdavis favorited Parrhesia's video
Feb 12
tjdavis favorited UnitedWeStand's video
Feb 12

© 2026   Created by truth.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

content and site copyright 12160.info 2007-2019 - all rights reserved. unless otherwise noted