Greenwald: Low-Level NSA Analysts Have ‘Powerful and Invasive’ Search Tool

Today on “This Week,” Glenn Greenwald – the reporter who broke the story about the National Security Agency’s surveillance programs – claimed that those NSA programs allowed even low-level analysts to search the private emails and phone calls of Americans.

“The NSA has trillions of telephone calls and emails in their databases that they’ve collected over the last several years,” Greenwald told ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos. “And what these programs are, are very simple screens, like the ones that supermarket clerks or shipping and receiving clerks use, where all an analyst has to do is enter an email address or an IP address, and it does two things.  It searches that database and lets them listen to the calls or read the emails of everything that the NSA has stored, or look at the browsing histories or Google search terms that you’ve entered, and it also alerts them to any further activity that people connected to that email address or that IP address do in the future.”

Greenwald explained that while there are “legal constraints” on surveillance that require approval by the FISA court, these programs still allow analysts to search through data with little court approval or supervision.

“There are legal constraints for how you can spy on Americans,” Greenwald said. “You can’t target them without going to the FISA court. But these systems allow analysts to listen to whatever emails they want, whatever telephone calls, browsing histories, Microsoft Word documents.”

“And it’s all done with no need to go to a court, with no need to even get supervisor approval on the part of the analyst,” he added.

But the top Republican on the  Senate Intelligence Committee told Stephanopoulos he would be shocked if such programs existed.

“It wouldn’t just surprise me, it would shock me,” Sen. Saxby Chambliss, R-Georgia, said on “This Week” Sunday.

Chambliss said he recently spent time with NSA officials and was assured that the programs Greenwald describes have been exaggerated.

“I was back out at NSA just last week, spent a couple hours out there with high and low level NSA officials,” Chambliss said. “And what I have been assured of is that there is no capability at NSA for anyone without a court order to listen to any telephone conversation or to monitor any e-mail.”

Chambliss said that any monitoring of emails is purely “accidental.”

“In fact, we don’t monitor emails. That’s what kind of assures me is that what the reporting is is not correct. Because no emails are monitored now,” Chambliss said. “They used to be, but that stopped two or three years ago. So I feel confident that there may have been some abuse, but if it was it was pure accidental.”

But Greenwald said the existence of these analyst search programs are in line with the claims of Edward Snowden, who first leaked details of the NSA’s surveillance programs last month.

ABC glenn greenwald this week jt 130728 16x9 608 Glenn Greenwald: Low Level NSA Analysts Have Powerful and Invasive Search Tool

ABC News

“It’s an incredibly powerful and invasive tool, exactly of the type that Mr. Snowden described,” Greenwald said.

NSA Director Gen. Keith Alexander and House Intelligence leaders have previously downplayedSnowden’s access to NSA data. Greenwald said the revelation of this search capability deserves a response from NSA officials when they testify before Congress again this week.

“NSA officials are going to be testifying before the Senate on Wednesday, and I defy them to deny that these programs work exactly as I just said,” Greenwald said.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2013/07/glenn-greenwald-low-le...

Views: 117

Reply to This

"Destroying the New World Order"

TOP CONTENT THIS WEEK

THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE SITE!

mobile page

12160.info/m

12160 Administrators

Latest Activity

MAC posted a video
11 hours ago
FREEDOMROX favorited MAC's discussion Climate Engineering: Tennessee Senate Is First To Pass Bill To Ban Geoengineering
16 hours ago
FREEDOMROX replied to MAC's discussion Climate Engineering: Tennessee Senate Is First To Pass Bill To Ban Geoengineering
"Two weeks ago, West Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma and all points South were used as a Staging…"
16 hours ago
cheeki kea commented on tjdavis's photo
20 hours ago
cheeki kea posted a photo
20 hours ago
cheeki kea posted a blog post
21 hours ago
Less Prone commented on MAC's photo
Thumbnail

gvIKn.qR4e-small-MAJOR-MEAT-COMPANY-INVESTS

"What, in the late years of their lives, is driving these people to commit such evil crimes against…"
yesterday
Less Prone commented on cheeki kea's blog post Covid vaccine death: “I didn’t know it was possible for a human to die so horrifically, so quickly” - coder speaks out.
"The sad state of the modern medicine"
yesterday
cheeki kea's 2 blog posts were featured
yesterday
Doc Vega's 4 blog posts were featured
yesterday
Anti Everything's 2 blog posts were featured
yesterday
CattyScatbrat's blog post was featured
yesterday
Burbia's blog post was featured

Journalism as we know it

By Burbia The direction of journalism has taken is odious. First we have yellow journalism. This…See More
yesterday
Less Prone commented on tjdavis's photo
yesterday
Doc Vega posted blog posts
yesterday
tjdavis posted photos
yesterday
tjdavis posted a video

GHOSTS IN THE MACHINE: PSYWAR

The World Is Our Stage...Join Us. Text SORB04 to 462-769 and Go PSYOP today!
yesterday
Doc Vega posted a blog post

A Point in History

A Point in History I'm up at this hour just give me a breakI want to quit but there’s too much at…See More
Thursday
tjdavis posted videos
Thursday
Doc Vega posted photos
Wednesday

© 2024   Created by truth.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

content and site copyright 12160.info 2007-2019 - all rights reserved. unless otherwise noted