http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091207/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_us_afghani...

WASHINGTON – The first wave of President Barack Obama's new Afghanistan surge will add about 16,000 U.S. troops who got their orders over the past few days, the Pentagon announced Monday.

About 1,500 Marines from Camp Lejeune in North Carolina will leave for Afghanistan later this month, Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman told reporters. He would not be precise about when those troops arrive, but military sources have said the first forces are expected on the ground by Christmas.

After the first of the year, the Marines begin sending another 6,200 from Lejeune, Whitman said, and 800 from Camp Pendleton in California.

The Army will also begin sending in the first of its forces — a training brigade from Fort Drum with about 3,400 members, N.Y. Whitman said about 4,100 support forces from various places will also deploy early next year.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates signed the deployment orders last week. They cover a little more than half the 30,000 additional troops approved by Obama as part of an overhauled war plan announced last week.

The overhaul followed three months of deliberations about whether and how much to expand on an already record U.S. fighting force of about 70,000.

Not covered in Monday's announcement are the expected deployments of two Army brigades from Fort Campbell in Kentucky. Those and additional training or support units are expected to be announced in a second wave of orders in the coming weeks.

Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, was visiting Fort Campbell and Camp Lejeune on Monday to speak to troops expected to deploy as part of the new strategy.

Views: 21

Reply to This

"Destroying the New World Order"

THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE SITE!

mobile page

12160.info/m

12160 Administrators

TOP CONTENT THIS WEEK

Latest Activity

steve posted blog posts
1 minute ago
steve commented on Phyllis Maka's blog post The Khazarian Mafia Takes Complete Control of the United States of America
"Just look at ALL of congress on their knees for this fkn j-w midget. Traitors one and…"
8 minutes ago
steve replied to Diana's discussion New ‘Woke’ School Curriculum “Deep Equity” Deeply Racist and Divisive
"Entire Congress suks isn'treal ass makes me want to puke and then start hangin these…"
12 minutes ago
MAC replied to MAC's discussion UN climate bureaucrats chow down on burgers while attacking meat Trash x
1 hour ago
MAC posted a discussion
1 hour ago
Phyllis Maka posted blog posts
1 hour ago
MAC posted a photo
1 hour ago
James Roberts commented on Doc Vega's blog post The Better Half of My Day
"How about this one: My ex was a cheating bitch Now I think not of that witch Then she grew as fat…"
1 hour ago
James Roberts replied to Diana's discussion New ‘Woke’ School Curriculum “Deep Equity” Deeply Racist and Divisive
"It will be funny to see them when they really have something to cry about."
1 hour ago
James Roberts favorited Diana's discussion New ‘Woke’ School Curriculum “Deep Equity” Deeply Racist and Divisive
2 hours ago
James Roberts favorited Chris of the family Masters's blog post Forget about 5G, China has now begun development of 6G
2 hours ago
James Roberts commented on Chris of the family Masters's blog post Forget about 5G, China has now begun development of 6G
"I want 6,000,000G."
2 hours ago
James Roberts replied to Diana's discussion VA National Guard Issues Statement Over Calls To Enforce Gun Control
"In addition, my maternal grandfather was a coal miner who participated in a wildcat strike in…"
2 hours ago
James Roberts replied to Diana's discussion VA National Guard Issues Statement Over Calls To Enforce Gun Control
"Guns are obsolete. So are nukes. I mean, both can get the job done, but there was always going to…"
2 hours ago
James Roberts favorited Diana's discussion VA National Guard Issues Statement Over Calls To Enforce Gun Control
2 hours ago
James Roberts replied to Diana's discussion Biden Falsely Says He Helped Find Republican Votes For Obamacare (Another Lie - Don't Liars Realize People Know They're Lying?)
"I remember when I pushed a bus full of nuns holding babies out of the way of a train."
2 hours ago
JoeG favorited Diana's photo
2 hours ago
JoeG favorited Less Prone's photo
2 hours ago
James Roberts favorited Doc Vega's blog post The Better Half of My Day
2 hours ago
JoeG favorited James Roberts's photo
2 hours ago

© 2019   Created by truth.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

content and site copyright 12160.info 2007-2019 - all rights reserved. unless otherwise noted