The Drone Papers
The Intercept has obtained a cache of secret documents detailing the inner workings of the U.S. military’s assassination program in Afghanistan, Yemen, and Somalia. The documents, provided by a whistleblower, offer an unprecedented glimpse into Obama’s drone wars.
01. The Assassination Complex - Jeremy Scahill
The whistleblower who leaked the drone papers believes the public is entitled to know how people are placed on kill lists and assassinated on orders from the president.
02. A Visual Glossary - Josh Begley
Decoding the language of covert warfare.
03. The Kill Chain - Cora Currier
New details about the secret criteria for drone strikes and how the White House approves targets.
04. Find, Fix, Finish - Jeremy Scahill
The tip of the spear in the Obama administration’s ramped up wars in Somalia and Yemen was a special operations task force called TF 48-4.
05. Manhunting in the Hindu Kush - Ryan Devereaux
Leaked documents detailing a multi-year U.S. military campaign in Afghanistan reveal the strategic limits and startling human costs of drone warfare.
06. Firing Blind - Cora Currier, Peter Maass
A secret Pentagon study highlights the chronic flaws in intelligence used for drone strikes in Yemen and Somalia.
07. The Life and Death of Objective Peckham - Ryan Gallagher
For years Bilal el-Berjawi traveled freely from the U.K. to Somalia under the watchful eyes of intelligence services. Then the U.S. killed him with a drone strike.
08. Target Africa - Nick Turse
To reduce the “tyranny of distance,” drones fly from bases in Djibouti, Ethiopia, Kenya, and Navy ships.
09. Glossary - The Alphabet of Assassination - A guide to the acronyms, abbreviations, and initialisms used in The Drone Papers.
Editor-in-Chief: Betsy Reed. Series Editor: Roger Hodge. Rubina Madan Fillion, Charlotte Greensit, Andrea Jones, Peter Maass. Research: Alleen Brown, John Thomason, Margot Williams, Spencer Woodman. Art Direction: Stephane Elbaz and Philipp Hubert. Development: Tom Conroy and Raby Yuson.