Britain: Military Contribution To The Olympic Games To Reach 20,000 Personnel – More Than A Tenth Of The Entire Armed Forces

 

 

Thousands more Armed Forces personnel will be forced to carry out “menial” security work for the Olympic Games, leaving defence chiefs furious.

 

The Army has been told soldiers are needed to join police carrying out menial security tasks like bag searches at the Olympic Games Photo: AP Photo/Matt Dunham

- MoD fury as soldiers forced to carry out menial security tasks for ... (Telegraph, July 11, 2012):

The British Army has been ordered to provide more troops for the Games to make up for a shortfall in staff provided by private security contractors.

The Daily Telegraph understands that defence chiefs have angrily complained to Olympic organisers, accusing them of mismanaging their security contract and leaving the Armed Forces to bear the burden.

The Ministry of Defence last year said that 13,500 military personnel would be assigned to Olympic duties, with 7,500 of them in security roles at Olympic venues.

It is understood that another 3,500 troops have now been told to prepare for duties at Games sites. More troops have now been given ‘notice to move’ orders, an Army source revealed.

Defence sources said that the total military contribution to the Games is now likely to reach 20,000 personnel – more than a tenth of the entire Armed Forces.

Many of the troops assigned to the Games are Afghan veterans. They will be ordered to carry out rudimentary security work including bag searches at venue entrances.

Commanders are particularly angry about the conditions in which Service personnel are being required to work.

Troops who arrived at Olympic sites this week for security duty were said to have been left without basic facilities including toilets.

One senior military officer said the Olympic work was “demeaning” to Service personnel.

“It is very demeaning that highly professional soldiers and Marines who have served two or three tours of duty in Afghanistan now find themselves doing bog-standard security checks because the Olympic organisers can’t get their act together,” he said.

“The organisers have failed to deliver on their promise to make their own security arrangements.”

It is understood that Gen Sir David Richards, the Chief of the Defence Staff, has personally raised concerns about the management of Games security with Olympic organisers.Defence chiefs are preparing to make up a shortfall they say has been left by G4S, the private security firm contracted to provide civilian guards for the Games. The company is said to struggling to meet the required numbers of civilian staff.

The Home Official initially estimated that 10,000 security staff would be needed for London 2012, but last year, that estimate was increased to 23,500.

G4S was initially contracted to provide 2,000 security staff . The contract has been renegotiated and the firm is now obliged to provide 10,400 guards and train 3,300 students and 2,500 unpaid volunteers.

Locog, the organising body for the Games, said: Locog said: “We would be surprised if there are concern being raised about the involvement of military personnel as all parties have signed up to the security plan. The allocation of military personnel was based on clear agreement of their roles and responsibilities.”

G4S said: “We have encountered some issues in relation to workforce supply and scheduling over the last couple of weeks, but are resolving these every day and remain committed to providing a security workforce for the start of the London 2012 Games.”

The MoD said: “Military personnel being deployed as part of the overall police and civilian-led Olympic security effort are providing niche capabilities as well as taking on a range of vital roles from air security, to the provision of bomb disposal and maritime security capabilities.

“Those personnel carrying out venue security roles will conduct important tasks such as vehicle screening, pedestrian screening as well as perimeter security tasks. All of this will help to keep the public safe at the world’s biggest sporting event.”

The security shortfall has led to tensions in Whitehall, with MoD sources privately blaming the Home Office for “cocking up” the initial security contract.

Dame Helen Ghosh, the senior civil servant at the Home Office, admitted last year that the 10,000 figure had been a “finger in the air” estimate.

 

Tags: Government, Military, Olympic Games, Olympics, Politics, U.K.

Views: 154

Comment

You need to be a member of 12160 Social Network to add comments!

Join 12160 Social Network

Comment by Marklar on July 12, 2012 at 4:34pm

Please cite your source with a link back to it and limit the amount of an articles' content which you post in order to comply with established fair use practices under the DMCA. See the following 12160 admin post for more information:

How to Comply with DMCA

"Destroying the New World Order"

TOP CONTENT THIS WEEK

THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE SITE!

mobile page

12160.info/m

12160 Administrators

 

Latest Activity

Doc Vega posted blog posts
5 hours ago
Snakedaddy favorited Parrhesia's video
13 hours ago
Doc Vega commented on Doc Vega's blog post The Rabbit Hole
"Cheeki kea, I pray that the insanity doesn't deepen and there's been an attack by some 18…"
yesterday
Burbia's blog post was featured

Disgraced Former CNN Anchor Don Lemon Arrested

No longer an employed journalist, Don Lemon had been seen with far left agitator, Nekima Levy…See More
yesterday
Doc Vega's blog post was featured
yesterday
Less Prone favorited Doc Vega's blog post The Rabbit Hole
yesterday
cheeki kea commented on cheeki kea's photo
Tuesday
cheeki kea posted a photo
Tuesday
cheeki kea commented on Doc Vega's blog post The Rabbit Hole
"Good poem for these times. I think it's only going to get worse though as we enter into the…"
Tuesday
cheeki kea posted a blog post
Tuesday
Doc Vega posted a blog post

Our Crazy Modern World

I'll be your host tonight in our first episode of "Our Crazy Modern World". Join us now!Apparently…See More
Sunday
Burbia commented on cheeki kea's blog post BREAKING: The Epstein Files Illuminate a 20-Year Architecture Behind Pandemics as a Business Model.
"What a bummer. Can't tell thie 'dead' guy to eat shit now."
Saturday
Burbia commented on rlionhearted_3's photo
Thumbnail

2DF36465-A826-443C-A3A8-6638BC1D4FFA

"Venezuela under Chavez had cut ties with the IMF and World Bank. He had suggested that the US had…"
Saturday
Burbia commented on Doc Vega's photo
Thumbnail

G_LrzqtXMAAhT7w

"Derelict of duty should be reason for removal of these judges. That would go against what is in…"
Saturday
Doc Vega posted blog posts
Feb 13
tjdavis favorited Parrhesia's video
Feb 12
tjdavis favorited UnitedWeStand's video
Feb 12
tjdavis favorited Sandy's video
Feb 12
tjdavis posted a photo
Feb 12
Doc Vega commented on rlionhearted_3's photo
Thumbnail

2DF36465-A826-443C-A3A8-6638BC1D4FFA

"You can't subvert a nation that has already been subverted by Marxists and drug cartles who…"
Feb 11

© 2026   Created by truth.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

content and site copyright 12160.info 2007-2019 - all rights reserved. unless otherwise noted