Drug that steals women's lives ... Valium still given to millions?

Drug that steals women's lives: It's more addictive than heroin, with horrifying side-effects. So why, 50 years after its launch, is Valium still given to millions?

View
comments

With her wedding day fast approaching, Baylissa Fredericks was increasingly worried about a tic in her eyelid. She'd suffered the problem since early childhood, but was so concerned about it drawing attention to her for all the wrong reasons on her big day that she visited her GP.

Sadly, the drug prescribed by her doctor on that day in 1998 for what, in retrospect, seems like a trivial problem, left the 49-year-old housebound and incapacitated for years.

Baylissa was prescribed clonazepam, one of the benzodiazepine family of drugs. These drugs are used by 1.5 million people in this country to treat wide-ranging problems including anxiety, panic attacks, insomnia, muscle spasms, restless legs syndrome and alcohol withdrawal.

The legacy of benzodiazepines is a vast group of people suffering appalling withdrawal symptoms

The legacy of benzodiazepines is a vast group of people suffering appalling withdrawal symptoms

One of the first - and most infamous - of the ‘benzos’ was Valium. Launched in the 1960s it quickly became the pill for every ill,

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2289311/Valium-Its-addict...

Views: 1382

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank's for waking up nostalgia. F..it, just realized next week I'b beating 64th.

I was then about 17

Yes. It was popular just few years ago, but can not remember.

Ive heard this line of writing so fucking often and have seen a great many berate and get hooked on valium, xanax and other benzos - but for those with a serious social / anxiety disorder it's the first line of defence. It was massively overprescribed in the 70s/80s etc, mothers little helper. Only now, if you've had any illicit drug history you aint gettin any benzos from your Doctor - they'll flood you with anti-depressants and beta-blockers but they dont even hit the sides when dealing with panic attacks and tic-related OCD as with me. The line about being more addictive than Heroin is a complete generalisation to. These drugs, and they're drugs the majority of Dr's Ive had have accepted and are cool me buying on the net, are for use purely as and when needed. Many dumb-ass Doctors say take one a day, but if you're having a chilled day at home why bother? It'll only increase you're tolerance, only when needed and I still say in some peoples hands they're a God-send. The only type of drug that keeps me in work. And really? More addictive than heroin? Well that just totally negates how and where you get you're heroin from - if its from your mate downstairs or on the next block I'm sorry but heroin, if readily available just pwns any benzo (when needed) application. And if you're smart but want to try heroin,, well, don't but if you were why not promise yourself only to smoke/snort in a place where you're not likely to revisit or be able to try it due to distance ever again etc. Just my 2 cents. Stay safe, and I aint totally bashing this rather sensationalistic journo, yup seen a few messy cases of peeps getting hooked on it, gooses, ganders, but from my own heads experience, man valium saved me from the only time my tics/OCD got to tourettes which was scary as fuck and it and xanax (less half-life, more sedating to non-anxious jittery types be warned) I maintain are for me great meds. 

RSS

"Destroying the New World Order"

TOP CONTENT THIS WEEK

THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE SITE!

mobile page

12160.info/m

12160 Administrators

Latest Activity

Doc Vega posted blog posts
3 hours ago
Burbia commented on Less Prone's photo
Thumbnail

Rebuilding Khazaria

"UAE are cousins to these beings also. "
11 hours ago
tjdavis posted photos
14 hours ago
tjdavis commented on tjdavis's photo
15 hours ago
Less Prone favorited tjdavis's video
15 hours ago
tjdavis posted videos
18 hours ago
MAC posted a discussion
18 hours ago
Doc Vega posted photos
yesterday
Doc Vega posted blog posts
yesterday
tjdavis posted a blog post
yesterday
tjdavis posted photos
yesterday
cheeki kea commented on Less Prone's photo
Thumbnail

Rebuilding Khazaria

" You could be right Burbia. Not Khazaria either because according to Themselves- DNA wise its…"
Tuesday
cheeki kea commented on cheeki kea's photo
Thumbnail

meanwhile in africa

" Lesson of the day must be Don't poke the bear or it will poke you. ( I'm sure we…"
Tuesday
cheeki kea posted a photo
Tuesday
tjdavis posted a video
Tuesday
Doc Vega posted a blog post

Shadows Across the Land

Shadows Across the Land Watching the storm coming over the horizon somedayWondering when reality…See More
Monday
FREEDOMROX posted a blog post
Sunday
FREEDOMROX posted a video
Sunday
tjdavis posted a video

Deliverance - Prince

From the unreleased EP "Deliverance", which was assembled by a sound designer who intended for its posthumous release on the one-year anniversary of Prince's...
Sunday
MAC posted a video
Sunday

© 2024   Created by truth.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

content and site copyright 12160.info 2007-2019 - all rights reserved. unless otherwise noted