Six fire departments were called to a working structure fire at the Flight 93 National Memorial headquarters along Park Headquarters Road in Stonycreek Township. The fire was reported around 3:15 p.m. Friday.

“There was a fire up in north headquarters,” said Mike Litterst, spokesman for the National Park Service, which oversees the park. “The headquarters is located about two miles away from the memorial.”

Litterst didn't have any knowledge about the extent of the damage. There were no injuries, but three buildings caught fire. Litterst released the following statement shortly after an interview with the Daily American.

"The National Park Service reports there was a fire at the headquarters complex for Flight 93 National Memorial on Friday afternoon. Neither the memorial proper nor the new visitor center currently under construction were affected, as the headquarters is located approximately two miles from those sites.  Initial reports are of extensive damage to the complex; additional information will be reported as it becomes known.  All employees and volunteers were safely evacuated and there were no reported injuries. The cause of the fire is under investigation."

Ranger Andrew Thompson confirmed that the flames were out as of 4:50 p.m. He was unsure of the cause of the fire.

Ken Nacke, of Baltimore, lost a family member in the crash.

“I don't know what was lost,” Nacke said. “We were waiting for a phone call from the superintendent as to the extent of the damage. But I believe a portion of the building that held artifacts may have been lost.”

“It's heartbreaking no matter how it is. I'm glad no one got hurt. Human life is more important than anything out there. It's kind of hard to put into words the feelings I have. I've spent several years planning this. Seeing something like this is sad and takes you back to the day.”  

Gordon Felt, president of the Families of Flight 93, issued the following statement Friday evening.
"We are deeply saddened to learn that a fire occurred at the Flight 93 National Memorial headquarters. We understand that no one was injured, and we are grateful for that. We await further details as to the extent of the damage, and the cause of the fire."

Views: 60


  • Add Photos
  • View All

Please remember this website is supported by your donations...

© 2018   Created by truth.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

content and site copyright 2007-2015 - all rights reserved. unless otherwise noted