You’re not anonymous. I know your name, email, and company.

Sumit Suman recently visited a site, did not sign up for anything, did not connect via social media, but got a personal email from the site the next day.

Here’s how they did it.

I’ve learned that there is a “website intelligence” network that tracks form submissions across their customer network. So, if a visitors fills out a form on Site A with their name and email, Site B knows their name and email too as soon as they land on the site.

It all started 2 weeks ago when I got a promotional email (anonymized to avoid promotion) offering to

discretely integrate with your existing web site to identify visitors to your website.

I get B2B marketing emails all the time but what caught my eye was the inclusion of a report snapshot for 42Floors.com showing names, companies, and emails of site visitors and the information seemed plausible.

I was both skeptical and concerned so I replied to the sales rep and asked how they could identify 42Floors’ visitors without something like an email link click-through. His reply was forthright:

Note the last sentence:

For example, if [a visitor] went to XYZ.com and filled out a web form and then [the visitor] later visited 42floors.com, [42Floors] would be able to identify [the visitor] by name/email as well as company details even though [the visitor] never filled out a web form on [42Floors.com].

I was still skeptical. So I signed up for a demo account and installed (and hastily removed) the tracker . As promised, I began to see personally identifying information about our anonymous visitors. Here are the live reports from this week.


Although only a small subset of users were identified with an email, that is likely due to the fact that this particular network is one of the smaller ones and hence only has information on a small percentage of all internet users. I will be following up with an analysis of the reach of their larger peers.

Expectations of privacy
When a user visits a site without ever having voluntarily supplied information to that site, should the user have an expectation that their identity is private until they chose to reveal it?

A real-world analogue would be this scenario: You drive to Home Depot and walk in. Closed-circuit cameras match your face against a database of every shopper that has used a credit card at Walmart or Target and identifies you by name, address, and phone. If you happen to walk out the front door without buying anything your phone buzzes with a text message from Home Depot offering you a 10% discount good for the next hour.

Farfetched? I don’t think so. I expect to see the first iterations of this Home Depot scenario become reality within a few years time. All the necessary pieces already exist, they just haven’t been combined yet.

It’s inevitable, it’s going to happen, but it shouldn’t
The realization that I’m being personally identified by name as I surf the net is deeply discomforting. At 42Floors, we’ve made the decision not to use any visitor identification tools. As for my own Macbook, I’ll probably write a browser plugin ala AdBlock to kill the trackers that make this identification possible.

Views: 2278

▶ Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

GEEZ!  The things We do to Others for a profit.  We need to get rid of profit motive.  That is what is driving this whole shebang.  (War is driven by war profiteers...)

An Open Letter to the Revolutionaries:

http://12160.info/profiles/blogs/an-open-letter-to-the-revolutionaries

Shall We Humans join in a solution?  You decide.

I think it is either 3 or 4 corporations that collect data, then resale it to everybody, including government. Same is with chat boards, real time chat, and even Skype. 2 sites that store everything that has ever been on the web. I don't recall the names but you have to request they not keep a copy and the only ones I've saw removed are from 911.

Yup.  Like I said - profit/money motive.

W G A F.

Well, this is *bleepin* wonderful. 

i agree !! but this gray fox is smarter than that i know how to cover my tracks

!THE ONLY ONES THAT WILL GET SLAUGHTERD!! !WILL BE THE BASTARDS IN THE OBAMAS N W O ,AND ANYONE WHO HELPS THEM REMBER FOLKS !!GOD IS ON ARE SIDE!!.

Amaterasu Solar 

GEEZ!  The things We do to Others for a profit.  We need to get rid of profit motive.  That is what is driving this whole shebang.  (War is driven by war profiteers...)

NSA is a Corp working for "profit" ??

(Some are afraid people will start to connect the dots, and see this is not about "the evil capitalism" - but something that would be like a "wet dream" for Nazis)

RSS

"Destroying the New World Order"

TOP CONTENT THIS WEEK

THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING THE SITE!

mobile page

12160.info/m

12160 Administrators

 

Latest Activity

cheeki kea commented on cheeki kea's photo
Thumbnail

Oil News ( not good )

"~ Amendment. New hope on the horizon. Quick updates. Diesel sanctions on Russia Lifted ! by…"
yesterday
Doc Vega posted a blog post

The Death Doll-Halloween Story Two

 Retired Major Lionel Eldridge was browsing items in a bazaar of relics, antiques, and curios when…See More
Friday
cheeki kea commented on cheeki kea's photo
Thumbnail

TDS

"ps.. Does anyone think this mental illness is viral escaping beyond the boarders of the USA ?,…"
Thursday
cheeki kea posted a photo
Thursday
tjdavis posted a blog post
Thursday
tjdavis posted a video

Cast a Giant Shadow (1966) - Trailer

Directed by: Melville ShavelsonYear: 1966Country: USAGenre(s): Drama, History, WarSYNOPSIS:In this fact-based film, distinguished U.S. Army Col. David Marcus...
Wednesday
Less Prone favorited tjdavis's photo
Wednesday
cheeki kea posted a photo
Tuesday
cheeki kea favorited Doc Vega's blog post The De-intellectualizing of the West!
Tuesday
rlionhearted_3 commented on Doc Vega's blog post The Exposure of the 9-11 attacks as an Inside Job! In Plane SITE!
"  Scrubbed from the internet? The idiots photographed themselves!!! “Conspiracy…"
Tuesday
rlionhearted_3 commented on Doc Vega's blog post The Exposure of the 9-11 attacks as an Inside Job! In Plane SITE!
Tuesday
Doc Vega posted a blog post

A Halloween Story

 I’d made a reservation for a cabin a day before Halloween was to fall. I guess watching little…See More
Oct 5
Less Prone favorited tjdavis's blog post The Trap
Oct 4
Doc Vega's 2 blog posts were featured
Oct 4
Doc Vega commented on Doc Vega's blog post The Exposure of the 9-11 attacks as an Inside Job! In Plane SITE!
"rlionhearted, That's a question I've asked from thevery beginning! What the hel;l was…"
Oct 3
Doc Vega commented on Doc Vega's blog post The Exposure of the 9-11 attacks as an Inside Job! In Plane SITE!
"Less Prone, they are not just folling us they are killing innocent citizens and non-combatants for…"
Oct 3
tjdavis posted a video

The Conformist (1970) Original Trailer [HD]

Directed by Bernardo Bertolucci. With Jean-Louis Trintignant, Stefania Sandrelli and Gastone Moschin.The Conformist Blu-ray : https://amzn.to/3QruE5FThe Conf...
Oct 2
Doc Vega posted a blog post

How Ukraine Revolutionized Warfare and Stopped Putin

 A war that Vladimir Putin sold to his people that would be a cake walk that would be over in a few…See More
Oct 2
tjdavis posted a photo
Oct 1
tjdavis posted a photo
Oct 1

© 2026   Created by truth.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

content and site copyright 12160.info 2007-2019 - all rights reserved. unless otherwise noted