(AP) — Lawyers for Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev asked a judge on Tuesday to suspend jury selection in his trial for at least a month because the recent terrorist attacks in France have again placed the marathon bombings "at the center of a grim global drama."
The lawyers said a delay would allow some time "for the extraordinary prejudice flowing from these events — and the comparison of those events to those at issue in this case — to diminish."
They said potential jurors have been instructed to avoid media reports about Tsarnaev's case, but were exposed to reports about the French attacks. Jury selection began last week.
"Almost immediately after the attacks, the press, politicians, and commentators drew parallels between the French attacks and the Boston Marathon bombing," the lawyers wrote.