"THE FIRST TEN LIES THEY TELL YOU IN HIGH SCHOOL
- We are here to help you.
- You will have time to get to your class before the bell rings.
- The dress code will be enforced.
- No smoking is allowed on school grounds.
- Our football team will win the championship this year.
- We expect more of you here.
- Guidance counselors are always available to listen.
- Your schedule was created with you in mind.
- Your locker combination is private.
- These will be the years you look back on fondly.
TEN MORE LIES THEY TELL YOU IN HIGH SCHOOL
- You will use algebra in your adult lives.
- Driving to school is a privilege that can be taken away.
- Students must stay on campus during lunch.
- The new text books will arrive any day now.
- Colleges care more about you than your SAT scores.
- We are enforcing the dress code.
- We will figure out how to turn off the heat soon.
- Our bus drivers are highly trained professionals.
- There is nothing wrong with summer school.
- We want to hear what you have to say."
— Laurie Halse Anderson